Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Report Cards

The kids’ report cards came in over the weekend.

R’s is as expected, to be honest. In recent blog entries, I’ve already discussed his issues with being ‘present.’ The grades reflect that. Honestly, his grades are better than I expected. Now that he’s showing the kind of behaviors we’ve been trying to develop in him, I’m confident his grades will begin an upward climb.

Have you noticed that I don’t talk about M so much? She’s absolutely where she needs to be. Grades all demonstrate mastery and constructive interaction in class. She’s hardly ever in a situation where her homework isn’t done the same day it’s assigned.

Same with her piano. She just...does it.

There’s generally nothing to talk about. It’s done. Usually without help. Ta-Dah!

What must it be like to be the low-maintenance smart one, living life three years behind the VERY-high-maintenance smart one? I try to keep mindful of this situation, provide fair rewards, and give affirmation to show that her productivity is noticed. I hope I’m reasonably fair and balanced; I’m not always sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment