Friday, March 27, 2009

“The World Is Quiet Today, Mr. President”

At least, I think I’ve got the quote right… it comes from General Colin Powell, when he was Ronald Reagan’s National Security Advisor. Moments before George HW Bush was inaugurated, Powell used this one sentence to brief President Reagan on the world situation. We all know the world was no quieter on that day than the day before. Still, from the perspective of Reagan, the world was becoming much, much quieter.

I am drawn to this quote because it captures this past week so well. One of the children has been at the beach for almost a week. C and the other child left for the beach on Wednesday. Me? I’m still here in Portland, getting things buttoned up for the tradeshows next week.

Things are still going on. I know that C and the children are studying Spanish, just not near me. I know that activity is going one. I certainly know that I’ve got a LOT of things done,with more still to do.

But I also know that the house has been extremely quiet since Wednesday morning. With just me there, the place is still. I use the bedroom, the kitchen, the bathroom, and the back door… hardly more.

It won’t stay this way, though. I’m off for a week of trade shows, just chock-full of activity.

With luck, my home space will continue to be quiet for some time. In the sense of family harmony and predictability.

No comments:

Post a Comment